Friday, November 19, 2010

Elin’s BIRTHday!

Well, she’s here!  Many of you have asked, so here is her story:

Elin Faith Sutton

As you may know, she had been measuring small on the past three ultrasounds, in the 2nd percentile and there was a questionable diagnosis of IUGR (intrauterine growth restriction). She looked healthy, so we continued to monitor her via ultrasound and non-stress tests every week.

My midwife wanted to induce 5 days early, on the 8th, but my cervix was not favorable and we decided to wait another week.  As we entered the weekend, I thought she might arrive on her due date as I was having contractions ALL day on Saturday. Libby, my midwife was out of town Sunday, so I was praying she would wait to arrive!

And she did.

We saw Libby Monday and decided to induce Tuesday morning…40 weeks, 3 days (so much for a baby arriving early in OUR family—cozy womb syndrome Smile)

I was excited to finally get things going, but more nervous than ever about being induced and enduring the pain of childbirth for the third time. 

We got to the hospital around 7:30 Tuesday morning, got settled in our room, including 3 sticks to get an IV in me (happens every time!)  Libby showed up around 9 and Pitocin was hung at 9:15.  At this point, I was dilated 3-4 cm and 50% effaced.  Mia, Papi, Yaya and Paw Paw arrived and we hung out in the room, waiting for things to intensify.

Contractions were coming almost every 2 minutes, but were bearable.  Thought we would have a baby by lunchtime, but at 1:15, Libby was back to break my water…still only 4cm, 70% effaced!  Not a lot of progress…so began the disappointment.

Once my water was broken, things started intensifying.  Libby went back to the office and after 1.5 hours, I asked our AMAZING nurse to check me-7 cm, so Libby was called back to the hospital.

Contractions were every 2 minutes, so I got in the shower to help my back pain (found out later that she was posterior---just like Evie, causing my severe back pain during this time!) While in the shower, I started feeling the need to push…Libby got me back in bed and I was only 8 cm!! WHAT?! !  How was that possible?  I told her I couldn’t do it, that I didn’t want to.  I needed something (that’s what I say every time, but this time I meant it!!!  really, I meant it!)

She told me the only way to feel better now was to deliver the baby.  NOT what I wanted to hear. She said she thought it would only be another 30  minutes…again, NOT what I wanted to hear. I told her I couldn’t do another 30 minutes of this!

Thankfully, I had an awesome nurse who was massaging my back with smell-good lotion Smile and I would squeeze the life out of Zach’s and Libby’s hand with each contraction.  About 10 minutes later, I was pushing, the baby’s heart rate dropped, Libby jumped (literally) into her gown and ran over to the side of the bed…told me to slow my pushing and out came little Elin Faith-all 6 pounds, 9 ounces!

The first thing out of my mouth was, “I don’t ever want to do that again.”  No epidural, no pain meds, just pure stupidity. I would call it ignorance, but I knew better! I know we were made to do this childbirth thing, but it’s the labor part that stinks.

I think she looks a lot like my baby pictures, a good mix of Evie and Beckett.

We are on day 3 and so far, NO PACIFIER! She could be our “best” baby yet. She is quite content and only fusses when she is ready to eat.  I am totally in love and lacking sleep, but soaking in every sweet moment.

DSC_0387

Leaving for the hospital at 7:00

DSC_0397

One of the last belly shots…all hooked up and ready to go (can you tell I’m not having contractions yet?)

DSC_0415

So glad she’s here but thinking about NEVER doing that again!

DSC_0428

DSC_0436

Elin getting her newborn check by our good friend Dave who just happened to be on L/D this week! 

DSC_0441

Papi with his newest little angel…he drove down for a few hours just to see her arrive

DSC_0444

Paw Paw and Yaya with their 2nd grandchild born this month…one more to go!

DSC_0468

Evie and Beckett meeting their new sister. Evie kept saying, “She’s so beautiful” and Beckett just wanted to eat a cupcake.

DSC_0448

DSC_0479

With our FABULOUS midwife, Libby. She has delivered all of our kids and I couldn’t have done it without her…seriously!

DSC_0488

The kids with our labor and delivery nurse, Kristin…she was amazing!!!  (notice Beckett using the hospital socks as gloves!)

DSC_0491

Mia getting her lovin’

DSC_0493

Some of our guesses…Nana was right on the time-EXACTLY! and Jason was a little off on the length-haha

DSC_0506

snoozing in the hospital room

DSC_0526

one of her few crying moments

DSC_0530

waiting for our ride home-nothing we brought fit her, so she ended up in a onesie, but had some CUTE pink bow to go with it!!!

DSC_0542

Elin’s first car ride with a really happy big brother and big sister

DSC_0548

Evie threw her a princess welcome home birthday party, complete with princess tiaras!

DSC_0589

Elin swinging tonight for a few minutes…that was all she lasted

The kids went back to Alabama for a few days to hang out with Mia and Papi while Zach and I get to know Elin! Thank to them for being such a huge help!!!!

4 comments:

The Burgess' said...

Congrats....We are so proud of you. i know it was alot of work having her but I cannot wait to meet her....She is so beautiful! I have not even meet her and I already love her....see you soon....I hope!

The Fuller Ohana said...

Congratulations! You did an awesome job! She is beautiful!!!

The Hursts said...

What a great birth story...ending with a mama who DID it! I'm so proud of you! And what a beautiful and sweet addition to your family! Enjoy these couple of days alone with little Elin- what a wonderful gift from your parents!

June Snellgrove said...

Kristi and Zach -

How proud we are of you and baby Elin. She is just lovely, and reminds us of you, Kristi. God is so good, isn't he?
How blessed we are to know and love you and your family.
Note: NO-ONE should look that good at 40+ weeks pregnant, and then after you delivered (with no pain meds I might add), you looked as if you just ran out to do errands!! Good genes!!